Without doubt the best recipe for liver spread! Even those family members who are usually no big fans of liver as such, actually like this spread as it has a quite mild taste. Apart from being gluten-free, the good thing about this recipe is that it’s super easy to make and only has a few ingredients.
Whilst pregnant I’ve been eating a lot of this to keep my iron levels high. Liver is one of the best sources of iron and one that our bodies can easily recognize and metabolize. So I would recommend for everyone to be eating liver every once in a while and the form of a spread is an easy way of doing it. Your body will thank you!
Try this liver spread with some pickled cucumber on top, it’s delicious!
- 250g (½ pound) chicken liver
- 2 ½ tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 tsp mustard (dijon)
- 2 drops of clove essential oil (can be substituted for ground cloves)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- I like to add some mixed herbs too
- Cut the liver in small pieces and fry together with the chopped onion in some butter on medium heat until just cooked.
- In a food processor mix liver, onion, butter, mustard, oil of clove and spices. Blend until you have a smooth spread.
- Put the liver spread in a glass container and let cool.
The spread can be kept in the fridge for about 3 days. You can also divide the spread into two smaller containers and keep one in the freezer for next time.
You might want to serve the spread on our gluten-free Healthy Scones with some pickled cucumber on top. That’s our favorite! It also goes well on seed crackers as a compliment to one of our soups. Enjoy!