This spinach and green pea soup is our number one winter favorite! The color is just amazing, but it is also packed with nutrients, good fats and lots of anti-inflammatory spices which is what we need to stay healthy in the cold season.
Actually we eat this soup all year round, since it is just as delicious served cold on a hot summer day. The great thing about this soup is that it’s very quick to prepare since the base is made of frozen spinach and green peas, so make sure to always store a few bags of those in your freezer!
- 900 g (ca 31 oz) frozen green peas
- 450 g (ca 16 oz) frozen spinach
- 500 ml (ca 17 oz) water
- 1,5 dl (3/4 cup) coconut cream
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- a big chunk of fresh ginger
- 2 – 4 cloves of garlic (depending on how big of a fan you are!)
- 1 avocado
- juice of 1/2 lemon (I use the yellow zest too if organic)
- 1 tbsp turmeric (or a chunk if fresh)
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- salt, pepper, herbal mix
- Replace some of the water with bone broth
- Add 1-2 tbsp of collagen
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds and/or some fresh herbs
- Defrost the spinach and peas in room temperature for a couple of hours if you have time, otherwise put them directly into the pot.
- Add the water and heat to boiling, then once it starts boiling turn down to low heat.
- Cut the ginger and garlic and add to the pot.
- Add the coconut oil and coconut cream.
- Add the avocado cut in pieces.
- Add salt, pepper, chili, cayenne pepper and herbal mix to your liking.
- Squeeze in the lemon and grate the zest into the soup.
- Using a hand blender, mix all of it directly in the pot, leaving a smooth and rich soup.
- Lastly stir in the turmeric (to avoid the hand blender becoming yellow!), unless you use fresh turmeric in which case you have to add it before using the hand blender.
- Serve your spinach and green pea soup in a bowl with perhaps some pumpkin seeds and/or fresh herbs on top.