Deadlines make us reach our goals faster, simple as that!
First thing first – if you don’t have any goals in your life you might actually not need to have a deadline as there is nothing to reach… On the other hand that might actually mean that you have nothing to live for either. So step one is definitely to make sure you have set your goals (if not, click here)!
I will now assume you have some goals in your life and actually some important ones as well (else you have to change them so that they actually matter to you!).
Deadlines can be stressful and they can make us anxious etc. but that is most likely only the case IF (and only if) we don’t have a proper plan on how we are going to reach that goal on time! If you have a strategy in place and you execute on it and constantly follow up (evaluate), to make sure you are on track, you will be on track and there won’t be any stress.
Most of the time, that stress is actually self-inflicted. Just think about an exam you have had or a deadline at work where you just made it even though you started much, much later than you originally thought! Still you made it happen and the great thing about this is that you now KNOW that you have the capacity to deliver when you really have to. Always remember this and keep a few of these instances at hand as they can be great motivators.
So how are you going to make sure that you follow through without putting yourself in a similar situation and instead handle X-times as much (instead of wasting time which by the way is our most valuable resource because it is finite…)? It is actually quite easy once you know how and make it a habit (yes, a habit, like all other important things in your life). You need to have a big enough WHY you must achieve that goal, have a clear strategy for execution and then just follow up continuously, step by step so that you make sure you are on target. You and only can set those deadlines and targets but if the WHY is important enough for you, procrastination will never show up and by making constant and meaningful progress you can be sure you will reach that goal on time.
On this platform we have a whole section on goal setting where we go through all of this to make sure you deliver up on your deadlines AND you actually set them in the first place so if you have not set your goals, I would recommend you to Start Here.
Why you must have deadlines!
- If you are not growing as a person you won’t be happy and if you are not happy, your whole life will start going in a downward spiral…. We have to grow and learn and expand as humans, if we don’t we will be stagnating and that for sure will have massive implications on our own lives as well as our loved ones.
- You will reach your goals so much faster (this alone should be reason enough to set deadlines). How great is this, by actually having a structure like SMARTER you can make sure you reach all your goals much faster. That means you can celebrate more often and set even further and higher goals and celebrate even more as you reach them!
- Earners are learners and many of them are fast and they take in a lot of information all the time from different sources and they all make sure to have deadlines to push themselves to deliver even more, better and faster (Steve Jobs was very famous for setting outrageous goals on him self)!
- You will have more time to do whatever it is that you want to do, if you learn how to be resourceful and reach your goals faster than everybody else. Think about that one, you would have as much time as you wanted because you would not waste it on stuff that is not important to you. You would reach your goals and spend more time with your family, travel more, learn new things, anything you want you could do!
- You will learn to become creative if you want to achieve massive goals in a short period of time. You can’t rely on what others are telling you is possible or impossible, you just have to find a way and get it done on time! By constantly pushing yourself and giving you a deadline, you will have to become both creative and resourceful to make sure you do what you have told yourself or others you would.
- Once you get into the momentum of massive action (focused and results-oriented), you will never look back but you will be hitting goal after goal without even thinking about it, it has become another great habit of yours!
- Success breads success and confidence and we all want more of that, this is the guaranteed way of becoming successful and being able to do more and contribute more to this world!
Those who deliver on their deadlines will always be in demand!
Actions to take:
- Set your goals now – check out our Visions & Goals Section to get started
- Reach you goals faster with SMARTER – click here to learn the process
- The 80/20 rule – learn it and use it
- Make sure you have outstanding morning routines
- Be in control of your time and your day by using our Daily Focus Technique
- Reward yourself when hitting your deadlines!
- Get an accountability partner and fire each other up!