In the following three simple steps, we will show you how to set your goals and start reaching for those dreams in your life. Let’s go!
Step 1 – reflection and contemplation
I want you to schedule 1-2 hours for yourself to spend at a nice, relaxing and comfortable place where you will not be disturbed (like a nice hotel or similar). I then want you to go there with a notebook and your computer and read my short e-book: “Where am I heading” (which will only take 1-2 hours). This book will make you reflect upon what you want out of your life so take your time.
Make sure you follow the instructions in the book including reflection, contemplation and writing down your thoughts. Afterwards, when you have written down and reviewed your own thoughts and reflections, you should have a pretty telling picture about what it is that is truly important to you.
Step 2 – dream and visualize
Set aside another couple of hours (just schedule it – it is your life we are talking about!) and decide upon a place where you can sit down in a peaceful and creative environment. When you go there, make sure to bring your computer and a notebook.
Then it’s time to create your own vision board! To get some inspiration and more information, have a look at my posts on How to create your own vision board and Why you must have a vision board! When you have read those, just follow these simple steps:
- Use your imagination and your notebook and just write down whatever comes to mind in terms of your dreams/goals/visions and remember there are NO LIMITATIONS! You can spend as much time as you want on this so do take your time.
- When the “dreaming” and writing is over and you have written down all of your thoughts relating to your dreams in life, turn to our friend Google and search for whatever words/things you wrote down and then create your own vision board! You can use any tool you want like Pinterest, the Subliminal Vision Boards, Word or PowerPoint. Personally, I have settled for PowerPoint as I am used to working with it. For more inspiration, check out this post on Creating an appealing future for Nicaraguan kids which we did by helping these kids to dream and then creating individualized vision boards.
- Make sure you now have all your dreams for all areas of your life on your vision board. I recommend you to use it as the background picture for your phone and computer and spend time every day looking at it and visualizing yourself reaching your dreams and already having achieved those things you desire! The more you look at your vision board, the faster they will become true!
Remember, there are NO limitations to your dreams and visions, only the ones you set yourself so bring out that mindset of a kid and dream BIG! You then have to make sure that your vision board is part of your daily morning routine so that it gets imprinted into your subconscious mind. I also recommend you to check out these posts from the great man Napoleon Hill: Burning Desire, Faith and Autosuggestion.
IT IS CRUCIAL THAT YOU “BRAINWASH” YOURSELF WITH YOUR GOALS SO THAT THEY WILL START HAPPENING FOR YOU!!
Step 3 – Set your goals
This is the step where we start planning your new life so let’s schedule a couple of hours (ideally half a day) and find that peaceful, tranquil and creative space again (maybe same as last time). This part is similar to the kick-off you went to with work last time but now it is your and your family’s life we are planning for! Bring your notebook and your computer with you and when you are ready to start set your goals, follow these steps:
- When you found your perfect spot and before you get started, look at your desktop background picture (your vision board). You did put it there as the background picture, right? If not, do it right away.
- Look at your pictures and dream for a few minutes as I want you to have these visions and goals in your mind when you go to the next step.
- Then click on this link and download our Goal Setting Sheet. It’s a very simple Excel-structure which gives you a good oversight and lets you plan both for the long- as well as for the short-term. Start with the full overview tab. If you want you can modify the different areas to better suit your goals and dreams. You should not use the individual tabs at this point so just let them be for now.
- Now, just let your mind get into “flow state” and write down what it is that you really want to (ideally must) have or experience in your life over the next few years. Remember that there are NO LIMITATIONS besides from the ones you impose on yourself, so bring out that mindset of a kid again! This step should be linked to your vision board which you created earlier as this is the step which will help you reach your dreams, visions and goals. This is the ladder to success!
Once you are done, you will have a great overview of what it is that you really want to accomplish in different areas of your life. I bet it is becoming really exciting and that you are keen to start going for those dreams of yours! Remember to look at your vision board as often as you can as autosuggestion is amazing and will work in your favor!!
When you have finished the Goal Setting Sheet, I think you deserve to celebrate! Make sure you do something nice for yourself as you are making great progress!
Actions to take:
- Spend time with your Vision Board
- Have a look at your Goal Setting Sheet again and enjoy what you have created
- The next step is this: Refine your Goals